[opensource-dev] Current status of Mesh??

Stickman stickman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 11:44:26 PDT 2011

> 1 what is the conversion of Vertexes to Prims?? (how many vertexes do
> you get for a "prim")

As was mentioned, this is not simple.

There are three "measurements" for each mesh object:
-Download weight
-Physics weight
-Server weight

That is:
-how expensive is it to download the mesh object
-how complicated is it to simulate physics with this object
-how server-intensive is the object (eg, scripted, complex linkset, etc)

Whichever of these is more expensive is the item that will be used to
calculate the cost.

More information can be found here:
http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Calculating-prim-equivalent-weight/ta-p/974163

Following the links for each weight type will give you the math behind
them, which is not simple.

> 2 are there any simple tools to make models (Blender does not qualify).

Google Sketchup is a name I've heard that's usually fairly simple.

Anything that can export a Collada file (CAE) should work. A Google
search can help with that. The list of 3D tools for sculpties on the
wiki could be a good starting place for names to check, as well. I
suspect that may be or will be a list for "mesh compatible" 3D viewers
at some point.

> 3 are non-biped avatars supported in mesh?? (quads are the biggest concern)

Custom skeletons are not supported. Bone displacement is supported.
Mesh theoretically obsoletes deformations.

You could make a quadruped avatar with the old system. The new system
changes the process, and should be making it easier and better. In
either case, you would need a whole new set of animations, and an AO
capable of playing them without letting gaps slip in between the
animations. Additional help on that is probably appropriate for the
secondlifescripters mailing list.

Stickman