[opensource-dev] SOCKS viewer

Lee ponzu lee.ponzu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 08:05:31 PDT 2011

I notice this work being done on a viewer that can use a SOCKS proxy.  In my
limited knowledge, SOCKS is usually used to get through a firewall, right?
 But there are also SOCKS proxies that cache requests.

So, suppose you had two or more clients using the same cacheing SOCKS proxy.
 If they needed the same data (say the two users were in the same classroom
or sex club), would they both get their data from the SOCKS cache?  For a
classroom with many users, this could be a huge bandwidth win.  Even for a
few people on the same side of a slow network connection, it could be a big
win.  Can we get Wild Blue to put a cacheing SOCKS proxy on the satellite
8-).  Save me 800ms for every request 8-)

Maybe this is the whole point of the effort, and I only just woke up...that
could be a huge win, for me at least 8-)

regards,
ponzu