[opensource-dev] Minimum draw distance

Arrehn Oberlander arrehn at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 10:01:55 PDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Jonathan Welch <jhwelch at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you have an opinion of why it should be lowered from what it is
> now, 64, please reply to this message with your reasoning.

I'd say it is common for me to lower draw distance to 32, for densely
populated events where the rendering of avatars alone, even with imposters,
imposes a severe rendering burden and interferes with smooth behavior of
stage effects, event effects, animations, etc.

Less common but still about 1/week, I may have to reduce draw distance to
zero briefly as a way to force texture refetches at a congested event.
Typically this happens when an annoying threshhold of avatars I'm standing
next to have seemingly permanently grey textures, because for whatever
reason, their texture fetches failed when I initially arrived, perhaps due
to poor bandwidth management/rescheduling. Despite the traffic that briefly
reducing draw distance to zero may cause, in is highly reliable at filling
on all previously grey textures that despite 10's of minutes of waiting,
will not otherwise load.