[opensource-dev] Review viewer -- draw distance slider

Trilo Byte trilobyte550m at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 15:02:51 PDT 2011

Today, novice users are already hurting themselves by a much larger measure.  At the earliest stages, they're directed by other residents to click the advanced button and right away change the slider.  Not only are they potentially hurting themselves with the slider, but there are a wide range of other controls they may not understand. I see it happen with great regularity in the small number of SL groups that I participate in, and have no doubts it's happening everywhere on the grid.

Given the choice between binoculars and a speaker icon, I'm not that concerned that a newbie will choose the binoculars to change their volume, but someone without any ideas just wiggling buttons is a portential issue.  As OO and I had mentioned previously, I think a tooltip floater with simple explanation will close the gap.

If there's concern about it being "too advanced" for a novice to see at first glance (well, second... they've already survived basic mode), then make the control be enabled via a 'Show Slider' checkbox on the Preferences -> Graphics -> Advanced tab.  For the majority of customers who spend any appreciable time using the viewer product, having that slider makes using the product easier.