[opensource-dev] Review viewer -- draw distance slider

Ricky kf6kjg at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 12:07:03 PDT 2011

Thus far I'm in favor of the eye icon. Lately I've been using the
Unreal Developers Kit a lot for classwork, and there is even a 8x8 or
so eye icon that is still legible, though most of the eye icons are
larger.  None have lashes, just the arcs and iris dot.

Once the icon is set, people will get used to it fast.  The issue here
is that there is no "standard" (de facto or otherwise) for an icon
that represents draw distance.  I can't even find a program that has
an icon for the draw distance setting: most either have the setting
hidden in a config menu or, as in Blender, in a sidebar with a textual
heading.

We just don't want to try to redefine an icon that has an existent
strong meaning.  Camera iris is used for brightness, scaled trees (and
magnifying glass) for zoom, magnifying glass and binoculars for
search.  The eye though has no strong meaning in my mind.  UDK uses
the eye for "lock selected actor to the camera" - not exactly an
intuitive use, but they rolled with it.

Ricky
Cron Stardust