[opensource-dev] Snowstorm 2.6.1 with Advanced and Basic mode
trilobyte550m at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 13:37:46 PDT 2011
It requires two restarts, doesn't it? One to quit and exit and restart to the login screen, and then a second once you make the mode switch to advanced.
It's a great idea, but the execution needs some work. My concerns/impressions so far:
1) As with a lot of other software, a significant chunk of the user base will never go beyond basic mode. Forget content creation - you can't change clothes/hair or access your inventory (to rez purchased items or freebies).
2) I agree with Hitomi's comment, this could/should have been done as a viewer skin implementation. Open up that door, and let the community get more invested in using (and creating) skins for the viewer.
3) I think the mode names should be different. Advanced could seem intimidating to users who are new or who only have casual interest, and adds confusion considering that there's an advanced mode/menu within the Advanced mode. Perhaps renaming to 'Pro' or 'Hardcore' would convey the idea that this is where the power users go. And while the Basic mode may be a great discovery tool for users in their first hour of Second Life, in its current incarnation you wouldn't want people to spend too much of their SL time just using that. Perhaps 'Starter' or some other word that conveys the idea that this is where you get your feet wet.
4) If basic needs to be that stripped down, then there definitely needs to be a middle ground. If 80% of SL users aren't content creators, that also means that 80% of SL residents are consumers who use freebies and purchase content that's made by other residents. The 'mainstream' skin needs to add in the ability to manage inventory, rez objects, and wear clothes/skins/hair/etc. In lieu of full building menu/controls, it should have some 'adjust' functionality so users can adjust the position of furniture, attachments, trees, etc.
5) Hey look, did anybody else notice that the sidebar tabs were gone? Please can we have that as an option in the current advanced mode? I've been able to get acclimated to having them there, but it seems like a fairly significant percentage of residents don't care for buttons on the side of the screen. Giving people the flexibility to use either bottom row buttons or enable/disable sidebar would probably help improve adoption rates.
On Mar 17, 2011, at 1:25 AM, Yoz Grahame wrote:
> On 16 March 2011 20:25, Yoz Grahame <yoz at lindenlab.com> wrote:
> You can switch between Basic and Advanced mode on the login screen. Switching currently requires a viewer restart; we're looking into ways to make that easier, though that may not be achievable for the 2.6 release.
> Sorry, I should make sure to not get people's hopes up unduly: Switching between modes without restart would require extensive additional work. We all want it, but as yet we don't know if or when it'll happen.
> -- Yoz
> Policies and (un)subscribe information available here:
> Please read the policies before posting to keep unmoderated posting privileges
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the opensource-dev