[opensource-dev] STORM-9 - sharing location and status message to Twitter

Erin Mallory angel_of_crimson at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 20 12:49:14 PDT 2011

While I'm no longer totally opposed to adding in twitter support into the client, there are allot of reasons I cannot at all support making this anything of a priority other then the absolute lowest.
First, allot of users already feel that Second Life is already too tied to twitter and Facebook and similar as it is when we have widgets in our profile we cannot remove without shutting down our profiles and even THEN can be remotely activated.  with Twitter being another potential link between SL and RL that many don't want, and with Twitter being openly shared with the US government and archived, I think allot of users would be really upset if we added this without allot more community feedback.  Like a blog post about it.
Second. there are already huds that can do what this storm issue proposes.  If we are going to be adding in features that huds already do, how about some that have been requested much longer and by allot more people?  Such as animation overrides, various build tools, etc.?
Third, as it is we already get slammed again and again for worrying about new toys when there are major bugs and design flaws that need fixed.
Fourth, depending on the implementation, if the system is or could be set to twitter automatically, I could really see someone really abusing this feature to track a boyfriend/girlfriend/fiance/roommate/spouce, etc.   Make a new twitter account, quietly log in their SL account, turn this feature on, and voila: instant tracking system.
I would consider worrying about stuff like this AFTER we deal with allot more of the accessibility, content creation, privacy, and new user needs and only if implementation is such that it would take a conscious effort to tweet something...