[opensource-dev] New web search: how to get search_token or auth_token in v1 viewers ?

Henri Beauchamp sldev at free.fr
Fri May 27 00:36:43 PDT 2011

On Thu, 26 May 2011 18:06:00 -0700, CG Linden wrote:

> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 5:10 PM, Henri Beauchamp <sldev at free.fr> wrote:
>
> .../...
> > The token (a 384 characters string) is now properly passed, but I'm still
> > not allowed to search for Mature and Adult stuff (while it works when the
> > same query string is used in my main browser)... A bug in my port (I don't
> > see where since same URL is used in both the viewer and the browser and yet
> > give different results...), or in the web server for the search engine ?...
>
> Yes, there is an edge case when people have never set their maturity
> preferences. Simply change them in the viewer, then change them back, and
> that will fix it for now.

It worked (after I set my preferred maturity to General then back to
A+M+G; it didn't work when I tried to set to M+G then back to A+M+G),
thanks ! :-)

However, I found another bug in the new search... the maturity rating
parameter (r=13 or r=21 or r=42) passed in the search URL seems to be
completely ignored, that is, if I want only the G results for a given
search (I kept maturity selection checkboxes in the search panel for
this purpose) while my global maturity preference is set to G+M+A,
I'm still presented with all results, including M and A ones...
Also, given what I can see of the viewer-search v2 code and of the
values passed for this rating parameter (13/21/42), it doesn't seem
designed to allow searching only for M or only for A, or only for
M+A stuff, like it was possible to do with the old web (and also with
the oldest non-web) search.
These are *serious* shortcomings and a net loss in features when
compared to what we could do with search till now... I do hope these
shortocmings will be fixed !

Regards,

Henri.