[opensource-dev] New web search: how to get search_token or auth_token in v1 viewers ?

Henri Beauchamp sldev at free.fr
Fri May 27 13:18:52 PDT 2011

On Fri, 27 May 2011 14:08:04 -0400, Oz Linden (Scott Lawrence) wrote:

> The new search backend was originally designed to be inclusive:
>  G, G+M, or G+M+A - like the viewer.

Err... you mean v2 viewer, right ?... Because v1.23 and Snowglobe v1
always could do this in search.

> However, we are changing that now and we will have the backend
> support for searching just M or just A and any combination soon.

Excellent ! :-)

However, I'm still hoping that LL didn't took the decision to just
shut down the old seach engine API: it still gives the best (most
relevant) results for simple searches (one or two words, and also
(and especially) for exact matches) and, most important (if we
consider that, after all (and after 4 years... :-P), revelancy for
the new web search *can* be improved and brought back to what it
was in the non-web search), the old search allows to display the
results in a WAAAAAAAAAY more compact and efficient way, allowing
to keep the search floater at a minimum size (to avoid blocking
the 3D view: something viewer 2 lamentably fails to preserve in
*all* and *every* aspect of its UI) while easily browsing through
the results faster than any heavily scripted web search will ever
be able to achieve...

The proper solution would probably be to implement a bridge
between the new search database and the old search API... It
would also preserve full compatibility with older viewers that
don't have a proper backport.

> Outstanding job back-porting so quickly, Henri.

That was an easy port: one afternoon, most of the time spent
figuring out why that damned search_token parameter was not
showing up where it should have, and also some time spent
backporting the whole llplugin+SLPlugin+media_plugin stuff
from v2.6, since SG v1.5 plugin system could not properly
handle the new search engine (it gave HTTP requests stalls,
was utterly slow and probably had trouble with the scripting).

The Cool VL Viewer v1.26.0.4 was released earlier today with
the new web search support (along with the old web search and
old non-web search).

I do not provide any more individual (stand-alone) patches for
the features I implement in v1.26 since it is now a true fork
of SG v1.5 (done in anticipation for Mesh support), but there's
a diff between v1.26.0.3 and v1.26.0.4 that pretty much only
deals with the new web search implementation:
http://sldev.free.fr/patches/CoolVLViewer-v12603-to-v12604.diff.bz2

Regards,

Henri.