[opensource-dev] Mesh viewers and tcmalloc issues

Henri Beauchamp sldev at free.fr
Sun Oct 2 09:30:49 PDT 2011

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 10:12:57 -0400, Mike Chase wrote:

> On 10/02/2011 03:48 AM, Henri Beauchamp wrote:
> > On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 00:23:36 -0400, Mike Chase wrote:
> >
> >> Setting this as described for me made the client (on Linux) so slow as
> >> to be unuseable.  I am seeing occasional crashesas well and tried this
> >> as a workaround.
> > I can tell you the slow down is *certainly* not coming from this fix:
> > I conducted many tests here (have been using this fix for over a week
> > now), and can tell there is absolutely no speed difference with the
> > fix and without the fix...
> I'm pretty sure it is. No code changes, I simply set the environment
> variable and restarted. removing the environment variable again returned
> things to previous behaviour. This is running a 3.0.6 dev viewer on
> Fedora Linux (F15) x86-64.

Try harder... with multiple sessions (sometimes, you can log in a skybox
and get 150fps, then relog with the same viewer, in the same skybox and
with the same environment and get only 140fps...). Also, use the FPS
reports issued each minute in the debug console (waiting for it to
stabilize, which can take 3 minutes or so) and make sure the viewer
window stays active (with focus) during the whole measurement period.

I can asssure you I saw 0% difference (and I *did* test *hard* to make
sure during now over 10 days).

BTW, the Cool VL Viewer v1.26.1 (mesh branch) is now 5-7% faster than
Snowglobe v1.5 it is (well, *was*) based on.

Henri.