[opensource-dev] An Idea

aklo at skyhighway.com aklo at skyhighway.com
Sun Oct 23 17:49:20 PDT 2011

Y'all,

i hadn't thought about how much of SL is someplace that would be pretty
boring to tp to.  i don't know what tp'ing within range of a security orb
would be like, but i'll trust you if you say it it wouldn't be fun.  It
doesn't sound like fun, anyway.

i think the things that made me think the most were the way i've looked
for things to do sometimes by zooming around on the map & picking
someplace with lots of avis for a place to go.  About half the time that's
not very exciting, but the other half has made SL worth the time!

i just found out about Zindra a couple of days ago.  Someone on the NCI
chat told me about it.  You're right.  i *definitely* wouldn't want to tp
there.  In fact, if there was some setting i could adjust in my viewer to
make sure i never went there by trick or by accident, i would use the
setting *for sure*!  i think i can deal with random kinda "adult content"
places sort of like, "generally," but if Zindra is what i was told it was,
i'd even be happier if it showed up on my map as a black hole with that
red circle bar on it.

The other thing about random tp'ing is the lists of places that the search
gives up.  It seems like there should be some easy way to keep all that
stuff indexed and sorted so that a random tp could access it in several
different ways.

The point is, tp'ing to a place i've been before or that got randomly
selected from the 3 or 4 thousand LMs i have would be a little
interesting, but it would be primo if the random loc was picked from
places i've never been, or at least officially "really cool" sites.  i've
never done the Google, "I'm feeling lucky" thing, but i think i get the
idea.  It's like, yeah, like that, only like, *interesting*, you know?
Not just some webpage.  There's billions of those and if the random coords
in SL are boring and maybe dangerous, picking a random page off the
Internet sounds like some wierd kind of Russian Roulette with 1 real
bullet in the gun, 1 that squirts lemonade, and 4 filled with sleeping
gas.

i dunno.  If somebody came up with a "Random TP" button, i'm sure i'd
press it several times every time i went in-world, even if most of the tps
were boring, gave me some hazard i had to avoid immediately, or had me
tp'ing out like it couldn't happen fast enough and wishing i'd thought of
wearing a biohazard space suit before i pushed the button.  My curiosity
has got me in trouble way more times than i like to think about!  Maybe
it's crazy to want to amp it out in SL, but i'll bet i'm way not the only
one who'd be thumpin' that button almost by reflex.

Thx, ppl!!

- AK

Yeah, I had the same thoughts on the TP history, that property would make
it a pretty good proposal.

Aren't TPs already tracked via local chat log?
If so, then the puzzle pieces are available to put a prototype.

- Nexii Malthus

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 7:38 AM, Lance Corrimal
<Lance.Corrimal at eregion.de> wrote:

    Am Sonntag 23 Oktober 2011 schrieb aklo at skyhighway.com:
    > Hey Everybody,
    >
    > i had an idea.  My dad used to tell me that when i had one of those
    > i should treat it kindly, 'cause it was in a strange place.
    > "Ha-ha," huh?
    >
    > Anyways, what if there was a "Random TP" button or keypress or
    > whatever? i mean, just to make things interesting?*  i don't know
    > what kind of controls or whatever might make it more (or less)
    > practical, but i think it would be a pretty cool thing.  i know
    > i'd try it lots.  Well, as soon as i get my computer fixed,
    > anyway.

    Hum... Kinda like the "I'm feeling lucky!" button on google?

    Not a good idea in SL in my opinion.

    A random Tp to some random grid coords will take you:
    - underwater
    - to someone's private parcel
    - on top of someone's banline
    - in range of someone's security orb
    - on some abandoned land
    - on some unused mainland

    most of the time.
    not to mention the chance to get a "You have no access to that
    teleport destionation" without even knowing what destinaion it was
    would be pretty frustrating.
    And then there's zindra. do you really want to randomly land in
    zindra?

    now, "take me to a random showcase destination with the same maturity
    rating as the parcel i'm on" would be kinda cool.
    "take me to a random showcase destination with the same rating, that
    is not yet in my tp history" would be cooler.

    bye,
    LC
    Please read the policies before posting to keep unmoderated posting
privileges