[opensource-dev] Redundant 'typedef' causing compiliation to fail on GCC 4.4/4.5

Jamie Quinlan jaymes_keller at lavabit.com
Mon Oct 31 17:18:07 PDT 2011

Hi all,

It's rare I post on here, but I think I need to bring something to
light. With the latest viewer-development branch, I noticed that a
warning, treated like an error, causes compilation of the viewer to fail
under GCC 4.4 and 4.5 versions.

(Note, I haven't mentioned GCC 4.6, as it fails to compile anyway, but
that's a moot point, as I have 4.4 and 4.5 built and installed from
source. :) )

As far as my knowledge of C++ goes, typedef functions are only used in C
to declare structs, in C++, it's not used that way. Fortunatly the fix
is simple.

All you have to do is to delete the 'typedef' from line 54 of
indra/llui/llkeywords.h, and off you go. Just don't delete anything else
from that line, that would be Very Bad(TM).

Sorry if it does seem a little harsh, but if it breaks a Linden-used
version of GCC, it might end up being a major PITA, and we don't want
that. :)