[opensource-dev] ok wtf is this?

Bao Linden bao at lindenlab.com
Tue Sep 6 19:49:28 PDT 2011

Guys,

Thank you all for the input. A new fix is at
http://codereview.lindenlab.com/6723148/ . Please review it and/or test it.
All comments/suggestions/complaints are welcome and much appreciated.

The reasons why we introduced this memory pool management scheme are because
1) we want to make the memory allocation/deallocation process more
controllable. You might know that there are flaws in our code, third-parties
code and graphics drivers which causes memory leaking or absurd memory
allocations. Those flaws are normally very hard to catch. We want to extend
this memory pool management to intercept and monitor all memory activities
in the future. and 2) as some of you already pointed out, we ask for regular
4MB memory chunks from the heap to minimize memory address fragmentation.

This is an on-going project. So if you have something you want me to know,
please email me at bao at lindenlab.com.
Thanks a lot,
Bao