[opensource-dev] Tutorial needed on TPV viewer-side AOs

Ziggy Puff ziggy at planetziggy.com
Fri Apr 13 16:23:05 PDT 2012

On 4/13/2012 3:08 PM, glen wrote:
> My timer is ony 0.25, not 0.02. I get very, very little stutter and
> then only on sims that are too loaded for me to be in anyway.

I think I set the timer to 0.2s or 0.25s for ZHAO-II. Been a while since
I tested it, but AFAIK, my results matched yours - some stutter on sims
that were heavily loaded, where it wasn't clear that a faster timer
would help or would make things worse. No perceptible lag on unloaded sims.

Kadah wrote:

    /I believe FS's was designed to mimic the ZHAO II hud, it even uses its config notecards. "Franimation Overrider" is a new one to me./

ZHAO-II was born from ZHAO-I, which was born from Franimation, which was
created by Francis Chung. Franimation is a direct ancestor of ZHAO-II,
and is much older. There would have been no ZHAO without Franimation.

I don't really have any insights into the client vs. server vs. scripted
AO debate. I think adding asynchronous events would be a very good
short-to-medium-term solution, and any scripted AO that used them would
probably cause low enough sim load that the whole question could be
punted for a long time. Assuming script load is the reason this is being
considered.