[opensource-dev] allowing client side AO's to swtich with outfits

Ricky kf6kjg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 11:40:12 PDT 2012

If that process accounts for switching between separate computers and still
having access to the various AOs, then it should be good! That was why I
was thinking about notecards in a hidden folder: it provides serverside
storage of the AO configurations.  :)

Ricky
Cron Stardust

On Tuesday, April 17, 2012, Lance Corrimal <Lance.Corrimal at eregion.de>
wrote:
> [...]
>
> How about this:
>
> whenever you save an outfit, a link to the ao config folder that is
active at
> that time is stored in the outfit, and when you put on an outfit, the
"putting
> on a saved outfit" code checks if a link to a folder that is contained in
the
> outfit is pointing at a folder inside the AO structure, and if so,
activates
> that AO config.
>

> no reading of notecards or serializing stuff, only two links.
>
> bye,
> LC
>

> Am Montag, 16. April 2012, 07:01:49 schrieb Ricky:
>> As much as I'm not a fan of hacks, until there's proper server-side
support
>> this is what I suggest: Dahlia, I think I've taken a liking to your
>> suggestion of the notecard idea, but with a twist.
>>
>> First, the client would create a new inventory folder named such that
>> the likelihood of it being already in existence is extremely low. "Outfit
>> Animations - Firestorm x.x" could be good for Firestorm, where the x's
are
>> a version code.  This folder would be hidden from viewing in the
>> client default so that it does not clutter up inventory, with an option
in
>> the client to make it visible.  Inside this folder are notecards, each
>> named after the outfit it's designed to match.  These notecards contain
>> LLSD serialized data designed to make it simple and fast for the client
>> pull down the animation data, update it, and store it back in the
notecard.

>> A simple GUI would be designed to make management and creation simple.
>>
>> Yes, this hack has the limitation that a given animation set cannot be in
>> place for multiple outfits, but if there is a simple, easy way to clone
an
>> animation set to another outfit such would be mitigated.  The ability to
>> manually select another outfit's animation set is also an option.
>>
>> Ricky
>> Cron Stardust
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 12:31 AM, Dahlia Trimble
> <dahliatrimble at gmail.com>wrote:
>> > The AO could be coded such that it looks at the name of the currently
worn
>> > outfit and selects the appropriate animation list for that name. I
believe
>> > the name of the currently worn outfit is sent to the viewer as it's
used
>> > highlight it in the appearance selector menu.
>> >
>> > I suggested the notecard approach as an alternative that could also
allow
>> > notecards in outfits for other uses besides AO animation lists. However
>> > given that it would likely require a server side change, it's probably
>> > much
>> > less likely to happen than just re-coding the client-side AO.
Personally I