[opensource-dev] do these warnings matter?

Boroondas Gupte sllists at boroon.dasgupta.ch
Tue Feb 14 13:04:05 PST 2012

On 02/14/2012 08:11 PM, Lance Corrimal wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 14. Februar 2012, 19:42:04 schrieb Zi Ree:
>> Am Dienstag, 14. Februar 2012, 09:55:52 schrieb Lance Corrimal:
>>> 2012-02-14T08:51:24Z WARNING: getChild: Making dummy 8LLUICtrl named
>>> "translate_chat_checkbox" in chat_bar
>> These are harmless. It means that there are controls referenced in the code,
>> like buttons, frames, sliders, etc., that are not actually in the currently
>> used skin. So skin makers can remove pieces from the UI without the code
>> crashing, because the control is missing. It creates a "dummy" control on
>> the fly that is not visible but acts as a placeholder for the code.
>
> So it would be actually "wise" to change that to LL_DEBUG, like someone else
> suggested to me... good to know.

I wouldn't say so. While the viewer still runs fine when these warnings
occur, they are indicative of code and XUI files being out of sync in
respect to each other. This can also happen, when identifiers are
misspelled. If the names match, but the child control is of the wrong
type, you'll get different warnings
<https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/STORM-1397>. AFAIK, in both these
cases, the running control wouldn't be matched to its XUI specification,
so attributes there lose their effect, which most often isn't what's wanted.

So the right thing to do is to hunt down the code and XUI of the control
causing this warning, see which one of them is "right" and bring them
into sync.

Cheers,
Boroondas