[opensource-dev] Viewer Policy Changes: Clarity vs. giving clarifications (was: opensource-dev Digest, Vol 25, Issue 25)

Boroondas Gupte sllists at boroon.dasgupta.ch
Sun Feb 26 06:42:31 PST 2012

On 02/26/2012 02:08 PM, John Jackson wrote:
> It's just another LL intentionally fuzzy policy.
> This allows them to make whatever ruling they like when the time comes and
> claim it has been stated "Policy".
>
> You will not get any real clarification.

At an inworld meeting, Oz has given the third party viewer developers
some clarification. Though, I'd prefer policies to be written such that
they are clear in and of themselves. This doesn't mean they cannot let
some room for interpretation, but a policy shouldn't give a reader with
common sense but not knowing about the clarifications an impression that
clearly contradicts the actual intention of the policy.

@Oz: If the policy isn't being changed to be more clear, it might be
advantageous to re-state the clarifications you gave us at that meeting
(maybe summarized) here in public, as they are relevant for more people
than those who were around at the inworld meeting.

Cheers,
Boroondas