[opensource-dev] Review Request: STORM-1793 1) Treat all mini-map altitudes above 1020 m as the same height 2) Improve z-level accuracy

Jonathan Welch jhwelch at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 16:21:54 PST 2012

> PS: I really want to be able to get rid of my lag-creating Sensor-based HUD
> for a pure client-side system.  Hence my active commentary.

The server team is not going to be making changes to the current
system; they have said the cost of doing that, the additional load on
the servers, etc. is not worth having more accurate z values.  Much
better for them to put their efforts on more important changes, etc.

Now, given all that, the LL viewer is about to catch up to what the
TPVs have been been doing for some time.  It will use Z data for
avatars near you, so if you are at 2,000m and someone is not too far
away then your mini-map will show a proper height icon.  The other
part of that change will be to show an "X" if the relative height of
you and someone else is not known (no more down pointing chevron for
group of people standing around together at 2,000m).