[opensource-dev] Review Request: STORM-1793 1) Treat all mini-map altitudes above 1020 m as the same height 2) Improve z-level accuracy

Armin Weatherwax armin.weatherwax at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 27 21:33:30 PST 2012

Am Saturday 28 January 2012 00:37:44 schrieb Jonathan Welch:
> Yes, because the coarseupdate packet holds many positions, it is not
> just 1 packet per avatar, but as many as can be packed into the
> coarseupdate packet as will fit.  So it is not possible to alter this
> packets' format in any way.  Doing so would break all existing viewers
> that expect it to have its current format.

Old viewers have all sorts of issues if their code isn't maintained anymore,
most of them are way more important.

Imagine  the Z- byte transformation was made non-linear: that would still give
better results than we have right now, be a  small change to new viewers,
have  low impact on old viewers, and generate no extra network load.
Example: (1*1 + 2*2 + 4*4 + 8*8 + 16*16 + 32*32 + 64*64 + 128*128)m = 21845m
range.

Armin