[opensource-dev] Review Request: Put the viewer version into marker files, and report errors only when the version matches

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 23:05:55 PDT 2012

On 2012-11-01, at 21:30, Ricky <kf6kjg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, all I have is anecdotal evidence from my own family of four, everyone an SL user: we all keep multiple versions of the SL viewer, and even a few TPVs, on our machines.  If one viewer crashes it's more often that the person it crashes on will relog in another version or viewer - just to avoid the perceived, if possibly inaccurate, cause of the crash. We may switch viewer versions on the second or third crash, depending on the individual, but the effect is the same.

Different versions of the _same_ viewer can have incompatibilities in its config file, to the point where Firestorm recommends you do a clean install when upgrading, and you're running _different_ viewers on the same config? I suspect you will have fewer crashes if you give each viewer its own directory... and the crashes you're getting may not be statistically useful as a result.