[opensource-dev] Viewer About floater and server release notes URL.

Henri Beauchamp sldev at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 9 02:45:42 PST 2012

Greetings,

I'm posting this bug report here because:
1.- It's related with viewer development and its newest features.
2.- I don't use the JIRA any more due to how it was screwed up ("for
    Lindens' eyes only" bug reports).

It has been several server releases in a row that the viewer (including
latest v3.4.x viewers) fail to retreive the server release notes URL
("Error fetching server release notes URL."). When the viewer sends the
request using the "ServerReleaseNotes" capability, it gets a "400 - Bad
request" in return and the header for this reply doesn't contain the
"location" header field that should itself contain the URL of the server
release notes.

To diagnose this more accurately, I modified the code of the
LLServerReleaseNotesURLFetcher class so that it logs the header (as a
LLSD) and the body (as HTML) of the reply. I get:

---------------------
DEBUG: LLServerReleaseNotesURLFetcher::completedHeader: Status: 400 -
Reason: Bad Request - Header (as LLSD):
<llsd>
    <map>
    <key>connection</key>
        <string>close</string>
    <key>content-length</key>
        <string>226</string>
    <key>content-type</key>
        <string>text/html; charset=iso-8859-1</string>
    <key>date</key>
        <string>Fri, 09 Nov 2012 10:29:08 GMT</string>
    </map>
</llsd>

DEBUG: LLServerReleaseNotesURLFetcher::completedRaw: Body (as HTML):
<title>400 Bad Request</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Bad Request</h1>
---------------------

Apparently, either the method to retreive the server release notes
URL recently changed, and the viewers didn't yet catch up, or someone
is not doing properly their job in the server team and keeps
copy/pasting buggy code (there have been a few server releases with
such an issue in the past, but the next release usually got it right
while it's been several weeks in a row that we got this issue now...).

So, it would be nice that either:
- LL implements the necessary changes to the viewer side code if a
  new method for retreiving the release notes URL is needed.
- The server team eradicates once and for all this error and stops
  copy/pasting the buggy code in their next releases.

Regards,

Henri.