[opensource-dev] New HTTP Library & Project Viewer

Henri Beauchamp sldev at free.fr
Mon Oct 22 15:28:59 PDT 2012

On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 09:57:40 -0400, Oz Linden (Scott Lawrence) wrote:

> On 2012-10-20 11:14 , Henri Beauchamp wrote:
> > Is there any server running the corresponding improved HTTP code on
> > Aditi ?
>
> Not yet.  When there is, we'll post a note on this list.

OK, thanks.

> As Tankmaster said, our ambition at this point is that the server side
> will be compatible with all existing viewers HTTP usage.   The new
> version will have different enforcement of fairness heuristics to
> attempt to prevent viewers from monopolizing server side resources; it's
> possible that this will cause problems for viewers that have overly
> aggressive use of multiple connections

In the current implementation, the new HTTP core can be configured to
spawn from 12 to up to 256 (!) simultaneous connections... The texture
fetcher code however never queues more than 40 requests at once, thus
limiting the potential damages, but you might want to have a look at
that and provide safer bounds before the new HTTP core gets used for
more services in the viewer...
My backports allows from 8 to 32 simultaneous connections, with 12 as
the default (i.e. same default as in viewer-http).

Henri.