[opensource-dev] <rant> lack of respectful communications on opensl and other viewer irc channels

glen gcanaday at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 08:28:20 PDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-04-25 at 16:48 -0700, Nicky Perian wrote:
> From what I have read about open source projects flaming newbies is
> the norm. Let's get real folks, it is not necessary to continually
> flame someone asking for help. I think that is why there is so little
> traffic on #opensl. Why ask when your direct question will go to your
> motive for asking such a question in the first place. For instance you
> shouldn't be in that part of the code as you don't have enough
> experience. I ask, why not? The viewers we help provide are for users
> enjoyment of a role play game. There are not being deployed into an
> industrial plant control system with triple redundant code and
> hardware. To get experience digging into the unfamiliar and trying to
> figure things out is a necessary step. At times it is nice to be able
> to ask more experienced programmers for advice. If given freely and
> correctly that can only help the whole viewer developer community. One
> developer recently said he deliberately gave wrong information so that
> the person would spend a couple of days sorting out what was wrong. Is
> that helping our community of developers in any way? Please lets do
> away with Nazi persecution of those with less knowledge. Granted,
> there are no night stick bearing thugs breaking knees. It is much more
> insidious than that. In my opinion, putting someone down outwardly
> usually comes from a person who is inwardly very insecure.
> </rant>
> Nicky

Agreed. It is not ok to place artificial barriers in the way of
learning. It is counter-productive in the extreme and /never/ has the
result intended. Someone new to the process needs to meet with success
and encouragement early on rather than snickering and failure if they
are to become productive members of a community.

I've been a lurker here for nearly three years and haven't contributed
anything since I fixed an X/ATI memory bug that a Linden completely
rewrote anyway before release, but I've still been watching. I haven't
seen a huge amount of this here, though it has happened. But this used
to be a hopping group; it's petered out to terse Q/A with very little
discussion. It seems that all discussion happens at the inworld meetings
that not everyone can attend and I believe that's just as bad as it's
still a barrier to participation.

--GC