[opensource-dev] DirectX SDK update: should we use it ?

Henri Beauchamp sldev at free.fr
Wed Feb 27 11:09:19 PST 2013

Greetings,

Today, Windows Update proposed me this update:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2670838

I was well inspired to follow the "Find out more about this update"
link, because in the explanation page, they state:

"If you are a Windows 7 DirectX developer who uses the June 2010 DirectX
Software Development Kit (SDK), you will have to update your development
environments after you install this platform update."

And the June 2010 DirectX SDK is precisely used by the viewer...

Not being a Windows guru, I don't know whether applying the proposed
update and updating to the Windows 8 SDK (which is listed among the
possible solutions) is a good idea or not: will it break the viewer
builds ?... If not, will the viewer builds still work under Windows XP,
Vista and 7 ?... Couldn't we simply get entirely rid of the DirectX
calls in the Windows viewer builds ?

Any thought about this ?

Henri.