[opensource-dev] gcc 4.7.1: lotsa warnings about boost

Carlo Wood carlo at alinoe.com
Sun Jan 6 09:19:36 PST 2013

On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 11:56:31 +0100
Lance Corrimal <Lance.Corrimal at eregion.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Whenever I'm building the current development source on openSUSE 12.2
> (read: with gcc 4.7.1) I get lots of warnings about boost-related
> things. Some of them I've been able to correct myself, others I'm
> stumped... the causes seem to be in 3p-boost itself, and i'd rather
> build with exactly the same libs as the lab...
>
> here's one of many examples:
>
> http://paste.opensuse.org/77018665  (it's way too long and unreadable
> for email)
>
> any ideas / tips / hints for me? google results seem to suggest
> something or the other about namespaces...

This is just one of the many many examples showing that a lot of the
Linden code was written by people who probably learned C++ in a 2 week
course before starting to hack the viewer code.

The solution is rather simple, really. Now I haven't looked at v-d in a
while, but last time I compiled it I compiled it with gcc 4.7.2 and
boost 1.49 and that gave me the same error as I see at the top of your
paste (only looked at the first error by the way), which can be
resolved by simply removing the nonsensical 'namespace boost'.

Everywhere where you see

namespace boost {
 // something with *intrusive*
}