[opensource-dev] ThrottleBandwidthKBPS - kilobit per second or kiloBYTE per second?

Kadah kadah.coba at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 10:56:49 PDT 2013

On 7/30/2013 8:25 AM, Carlo Wood wrote:
> Well, since everyone has to download the same amount of data
> in the end, its rather hard to use a "disproportional" amount
> of resources, unless a viewer just downloads the SAME thing
> over and over again, which would be severe bug.
>
> The only other thing that might be called using too much
> resources is when the sim is failing to deliver data, and
> connections that are made just time out. In that case it
> will be the viewers that have the most aggressive re-try
> policy that are using the most resources.
>
> For clear reason, in those situations it will be the viewers
> that retry most aggressively that will succeed faster than
> others to retrieve the data.
>
> In my experience, this is V3. Even on servers where most
> TPV's fail completely to get any data because of huge number
> of disconnects and timeout - V3 *still* manages to get all
> data in around 2 minutes time! I'm able to run a V3 viewer
> myself but independent sources told me that they saw V3 make
> up to 40+ connections at a time to the texture/mesh service.

The cause is known and I believe (hope) they are working on it right
now, so it's likely the next release will be ok. I'm not clear on the
particular details, but incorrect retry behavior and throttling sound right.
As bad as V3 is at over use of connections (200-300 in a few seconds
isn't unheard of), its not the problem and Monty's work on the viewer
and server side of things have made big improvements. :3