[opensource-dev] Building the viewer after the latest commits

Adam Moss c at yotes.com
Wed Aug 20 07:47:22 PDT 2014

Hiya,

If someone's re-investigating/rebuilding most of the third-party libraries
anyway...
Isn't it a good time for the SL Linux client to go (probably exclusively)
64-bit?  This wasn't true 8 years ago and wasn't quite true 4 years ago,
but I think on balance it'd be a good and happy move in 2014.

(IIRC several of the libraries used by the viewer are also used by the
servers, which are 64-bit Linux, so there may be *less* work for LL overall
in maintaining these builds, FWIW.)

The 32-bit client is only marginally happy on 64-bit systems despite the
compatibility layers - for example, many of the interesting and
most-relevant-to-SL gstreamer audio/video codec packs on modern distros
*still* install into an non-architecture-specific place, meaning you have
to choose between a 32-bit (SL) or 64-bit (every other app) codec pack
exclusively.

In addition, building the official LL viewer on 64-bit in the absence of
pre-rolled libraries is a fairly gigantuan task with results which are way
off the QA'd path - personally I'll have to stoop to a 32-bit VM to
continue development nowadays if I can work up the courage.

Cheers,
--Adam