[opensource-dev] Question about the rendering and how to hide textures selectively

Marine Kelley marinekelley at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 07:11:03 PDT 2014

Yes I have been looking into them already, but they at best display even
more geometry on top of what's already rendered. I would like not to add
more strain on the rendering than there already is. As for the reason, it
is to go with the new features I'm adding to the RLV v2.9 (see my blog for
details : realrestraint.blogspot.com). In short, it is meant for the avatar
to be "blindfolded" in a more interesting way than just to have a big prim
hogging the screen and blocking the view. I want the immediate vicinity to
be visible but things a little farther to be hidden from view. With all the
camera restrictions that come with it. All that is already done and working
well, but I want the textures to be hidden (save for the bump & shine),
because the color of a surface is not supposed to be visible, only the
"touch feeling" of it. On a side note, this won't be appropriate only for
blindfolds, but also for mazes and multiplayer games where the camera is
supposed to be restricted to be close to the avatar.