[opensource-dev] Avatar Hover Height feature

Henri Beauchamp sldev at free.fr
Mon Feb 2 11:49:49 PST 2015

On Mon, 02 Feb 2015 13:05:20 -0500, Oz Linden (Scott Lawrence) wrote:

> On 2015-01-31 07:53 , Henri Beauchamp wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I know this should be posted in the JIRA, but apparently the comments in
> > the existing issue (SUN-38) are not read or not taken into account by
> > Lindens.
> >
> > Please, to any and all Linden(s) involved in AHH, do read this post for
> > your own enlightement (and hopefully, a better and definitive solution
> > for the SL community as a whole):
> > http://sldev.free.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1494&p=6890#p6890
> >
> > Note that I'm beyond the point to care about whether this message will
> > be taken into account or not (so it's perfectly useless to enter a
> > sterile argument on this list about it). It's more like a bottled
> > message I throw into the sea...
>
> I won't speculate on whether or not we would have decided to do it
> differently had your suggestion actually been made when we were starting
> work on this months ago; the factors affecting avatar height and avatar
> vertical offset are quite complicated and it may or may not have been
> the right thing to do. I will say that your input would certainly have
> been considered had you been a part of the conversation at the time
> rather than posting a note on our private forum well after the fact.

Are you ***kidding*** me ????

I have been attending quite a few Server group meetings with Nyx, and
you even were there once (for sure) or twice (can't swear on it), when
I spoke about the SUN-38 issue.
You will find several agendas with my entry about SUN-38, in the Wiki:
http://wiki.secondlife.com/w/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=henri+sun-38&fulltext=Search
Most of the corresponding transcripts are alas missing from the Wiki,
but I *did* explain my solution in at least two of those meetings
and I will point out one particular agenda, where I asked if SPEAKING
with a Linden about SUN-38 and the possible solutions would be at all
possible:
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Archive/2013-04-29

It's not my fault if you keep shrugging off every remark or proposal
I make, or even refuse the dialog (in plain text, because I cannot
articulate well enough English neither understand English spoken
with the US American accent in real time).
I will not even bother quoting the various emails I sent to
*YOU*, Oz, and that you never replied (albeit about other subjects
than SUN-38), but if you want them, I could dig in my backups...

> Despite the fact that you refuse to contribute your code,

Again you are reverting the roles here !!!!

I never refused to contribute my code: it's GPL and always said
that anyone (and yes, that includes *you* Lindens) could reuse it.
Also, each time someone asked for permissionto make my code LGPL
to be compatible with their own viewer, I always said "go for it !".

What I refuse, however, is to sign a contribution agreement where
I would have to give private data to perfect strangers residing
in a foreign country that doesn't respect the privacy protection
Law of *my* country (or of any other country for that purpose).
You perfectly know this, for I explained it to you (and to Soft
Linden, your predecessor) countless times in emails, even going
down to give you pointers to paragraphs in the (English-
translated even !) French Law "Informatique et Liberté".

I am not the one refusing to contribute my code, YOU are the one(s)
refusing to use my contributions because of stupid and pointless
lawyer-induced bureaucracy. It is *YOUR* choice and *YOUR* refusal,
not mine !!!

> I'm happy to make sure that your input is considered if and when
> you provide it in a timely way;

I am the very initiator of the SUN-38 issue, and if you re-read the
comments I made in it, my solution is exposed here as well (see
the comment posted on 22/Jun/14 10:58 AM, in reply to the Firestorm
team's proposal, i.e. QUITE in the TIMELY manner !!!).

I ALWAYS gave pointers to major flaws and regressions, either in the
form of a JIRA issue, or directly via emails (to YOU !!!). So,
accusing me of not providing the info or not in a timely manner is
quite INSULTING and a pure LIE from your part.

> I hope that in the future you'll chose to engage more productively.

I hope that in the future, you will actually read the JIRAs I initiate,
the emails I send to you, the messages I post on the various boards and
blogs you DO frequent as well as I do (Nalate's blog, to cite just one).
I also hope that you will make the minimum effort to communicate in a
way that a non-English speaking person such as myself can actually
manage (Open Source meetings used to happen in CHAT and not in voice,
when Soft Linden was still there... and I DID tell you in one of your
first meetings that people like me COULDN'T attend your meetings because
of the language barrier: I can find the log, if you wish...).

Now, I would *much* more prefer a clever and fruitful collaboration
to this sterile childish behaviour (ignoring me, then putting the
fault on me for not participating. I think that in 8+ years of SLing,
I *never stopped* participating !).

A *pissed* off (BIG TIME !)...

Henri.