[opensource-dev] Viewer Tools Upgrades - with a call for help

Nicky Perian nickyperian at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 15:55:47 PST 2015

The issue was in fact paths. Operating with in the Developer Command Prompt
for VS2013 requires a path of:
C:\cwgwin64\bin;C:\cygwin64\usr\bin

Reason: coreutils which contains printf and a host of other bash commands
resides in C:\cygwin64\bin. Flex and Bison are installed in
C:\cygwin64\usr\bin.

So from Developer Command Prompt for VS2013 you can reach printf and flex
and bison.

Now the kicker if you now open the Cygwin64  Terminal the aforementioned
C:\cygwin64\bin and C:\Cygwin64\usr\bin are mangled by cygwin64's remake of
the path into the form /cygdrive/c/...
and writes usr/bin;usr/bin in the path which breaks the path in
Cygwin64  Terminal.

If you don't include C:\cygwin64\bin and C:\Cygwin64\usr\bin in the path
then cygwin64 is smart enough to figure it out and printf works in the
Cygwin64  Terminal but, now it is broken in the Developer Command Prompt
for VS2013.

I'm thinking a workaround for this is to begin each windows batch file with
a path command the appends C:\cwgwin64\bin;C:\cygwin64\usr\bin but do not
put those in the system path.