[opensource-dev] Viewer Tools Upgrades - with a call for help

Henri Beauchamp sldev at free.fr
Fri Feb 27 08:20:59 PST 2015

On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 09:23:19 -0500, Oz Linden (Scott Lawrence) wrote:

> On 2015-02-24 17:10 , Henri Beauchamp wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 15:37:21 -0600, Nicky Perian wrote:
> >
> >> Plugins are no longer built in the viewer but, are delivered
> >> as content in an archive.
> > Which means TPV developers will not be able any more to fix bugs in the
> > plugins and will have to endure the very same bugs as the ones plagging
> > LL's viewer...
>
> Not at all - the repository that builds the plugins is public.
>
>     https://bitbucket.org/lindenlab/3p-update-slplugins

And I confirm my assertion.. See by yourself: that link points to a
repository which holds only *binaries* (no source at all !): how
would TPV developers fix bugs and provide/use fixed binaries without
the sources ???

>   that will move to 3p-slplugins when we release the tools update viewer
> (which should be going to release candidate very shortly).
>
> > Not at all... The proper and only "clean" solution would be to get
> > fully rid of the Quicktime dependency for the builds... Quicktime
> > is totally outdated anyway.
>
> I see no reason to remove support for any Quicktime content people may
> have in SL if we can avoid it.

You may perfectly read Quicktime encoded files using other libraries
(including open source ones) than that old Quicktime SDK...
All what I said is that it is time to drop that old Quicktime for
Windows SDK and use another (preferably an open source one) instead.

> We are very actively working on updating the web media subsystem;
> whether or not it will maintain exactly the current plugin strategy, and
> whether or not it will be possible to keep Quicktime working are still
> to be determined.  Stay tuned.

Glad to know there's work being done... I'd wish it would be done in the
open however... Any chance to get a public repository open for the
current work in progress ?

Henri.