[opensource-dev] CEF plugin for Linux builds, a recipe

Henri Beauchamp sldev at free.fr
Sat Jul 25 06:50:15 PDT 2015

Greetings,

Here is an update about CEF3 for Linux (and Windows VS2010) builds.

Since the (VS2013) Windows plugin moved to CEF v3.2357, so did I for
the Linux plugin (it will not be said that Linux got inferior support
than Windoze ! :-P).

Note that rebuilding 3.2357 is even trickier than for 3.2272, mainly
because of bugs in CEF3's and LLVM/clang/compiler-rt building systems.
If you are definitely, irremediably, masochistic, and want to rebuild
it yourself, then I wrote down a recipe, available here:
http://sldev.free.fr/libraries/sources/cef-rebuild-steps.txt
If you don't want to loose your time reinventing the wheel then you
can just grab the rebuilt package from here:
http://sldev.free.fr/libraries/sources/cef_binary_3.2357.1281.gd660177_linux32-no_tcmalloc.tar.bz2

I could also produce a VS2010 llceflib (meaning you won't need to
update your TPV to use the "new build tools" for now).

You will find here: http://sldev.free.fr/libraries/ the llceflib
packages for both Linux and VS2010 (I'm not using a link to the
packages themselves, because they might change every week, following
the progresses on the CEF3 media plugin implementation).

Finally, have a look here: http://sldev.free.fr/libraries/patches/
to see what needed to be modified in LL's llceflib so to implement
it under Linux and make it compile under Windows with VS2010.
I hereby license anything I put there as LGPL code, reusable by
anyone if they so wish.

Note that the llceflib version for Linux is now compiled on a clone
of my usual build system for the Cool VL Viewer (I'm using a clone
because I wanted to keep the original build system for non-CEF builds,
so to avoid having them "poisonned" with stricter library version
dependencies). That clone got the necessary updates to libX11, libXi
and libnss3, so that CEF3 can be properly linked.
Users of "old" (4+ years) Linux systems may still run the resulting
binaries by adding to the viewer installation lib/ sub-directory a
few libraries that I packaged and made available from here:
http://sldev.free.fr/libraries/

See also the announcement on the Cool VL Viewer forum for details
about what works and what still doesn't work in llceflib (Lindens
might be interested by it too...):
http://sldev.free.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1543&p=7112#p7112

For people curious about how CEF3 fares when compared to QtWebKit,
I released the Cool VL Viewer v1.26.15.0 today for this purpose
(use the new "UseCEF" debug setting to switch between QtWebKit and
CEF without even the need for a viewer restart).

Henri.