[opensource-dev] Quicktime

Andromeda Quonset andromedaquonset at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 15:40:02 PDT 2016

In the past, I have been setup for compiling the viewer under
VS2005.  I haven't done any  viewer-compiling for several years.  One
thing I remember having to do to setup that compiling environment is
install the QuicktimeSDK that I had to independently download from
Apple, and it took a very long time to install.

Now I am seeing a lot of messages urging all Windows users to
uninstall Quicktime, that it will never be updated for Windows, and
that it hasn't been updated for 10 years.  So the first question is
"does uninstalling Quicktime have an impact on Second Life?  The
second question might be 'do I still need the QuicktimeSDK for
compiling viewers?  Or is there some substitute by now?

In trying to find out more info about Quicktime, I find leads that
Homeland Security issued the warning.  Then I find Homeland Security
copied a noticed from CERT, who copied a notice from Comodo.....and
then I start having a few doubts  about the warning being quite as
dire as I first read.