[opensource-dev] About memory management on macOS 10.12 (Sierra) potentially affecting all viewers

Cinder Roxley cinder at alchemyviewer.org
Fri Jul 8 16:01:19 PDT 2016

On July 8, 2016 at 4:36:39 PM, Geenz Spad (geenz at exodusviewer.com <mailto:geenz at exodusviewer.com> ) wrote:

To my knowledge, manual memory management is still supported under OS X 10.12,
It would take an incredible amount of effort to deprecate since you’d need to fundamentally change NSObject, and as a result, obsolete everything that has ever used the Foundation classes.

and ARC is still opt-in (or opt-out, depending on what version of Xcode you created the project with).  A few tests on my end still show that NSAutoreleasePool is still valid, as is autorelease and autorelease blocks, when using the latest beta of macOS 10.12 and Xcode.
This is correct. It stops working when enabling -fobjc-arc, but that’s more of a rule change to force strict ARC compliance than runtime breakage. They just no-op those methods under the hood if it sneaks by static analysis.

--
Cinder Roxley
Sent with Airmail