[opensource-dev] Replacement for QuickTime media plugin - a straw man proposal

Nicky D. sl.nicky.ml at googlemail.com
Tue May 17 15:22:23 PDT 2016

> The two technologies that seemed like they might work were identified as
> GStreamer and LibVLC. The former was an attractive option since that was
> already used in the Linux viewer. The existing GStreamer media plugin code
> was somewhat complex and unknown to me whereas playback of a stream in
> LibVLC seemed very straightforward and I had toyed with it in the past.

The complexity IMO comes from two sources:
A) The original author did opt do resolve all the gstreamer functions via
dso loading and getting the needed symbols out of the dll/so/dylib at
runtime. This adds a lot of boilerplate code.
B) Implementing a gstreamer video plugin. I am not sure why this was done.
You should be able to get the same result with an appsink and probably a
videoscale filter.

Getting rid of B makes porting to gstreamer 1.0 almost trivial. I played
with that a good while ago, but I did not bother to add the videoscale
filter, so the result was not correct.

Taking it to Windows from there should be mostly trivial, but the devil
might be in the details there.

Regarding VLC, afaik some parts (some plugins for example) are still GPL? I
am not sure about the implications of that.

If the lawyers are okay with libvlc / gstreamer, what about enabling
proprietary in CEF in addition. Not to use CEF as the media plugin, but to
allowed it to play embedded media.