[opensource-dev] Replacement for QuickTime media plugin - a straw man proposal

Nicky D. sl.nicky.ml at googlemail.com
Thu May 19 02:24:50 PDT 2016

> Yep, that's a concern - I believe we used QuickTime to play MP3s too so
> that would be even more wasteful.

The Quicktime plugin is used for a lot of content. And yes, you are correct
it is used to MP3 when it is used as MOAP.

> The answer might be to do this anyway so we enable videos embedded in web
> content, play video URLs with the LibVLC plugin and come up with a
> lightweight solution (FMODEx??) for MP3s.

I am in favor of enabling those codecs for CEF, for the sake of being able
to play a lot more (HTML5) content inside CEF than we can do now.
If resources for the whole media change so scarce that that the question
would be CEF or mostly no MOAP at all, then CEF would
be a solution. Mind you not the best one, but at least better than nothing.
Otherwise I prefer using gstreamer or VLC for MOAP and the codecs in CEF
just so they work in the browser.
I know there is demand for those, there is also two Jiras for that, so TVs
can use HTML5. I can dig those two Jira up (or ask Whirly)
if people are interested in the tickets.