[opensource-dev] Replacement for QuickTime media plugin - a straw man proposal

Cinder Roxley cinder at alchemyviewer.org
Mon May 23 12:24:34 PDT 2016

On May 23, 2016 at 12:42:12 PM, Callum Prentice (Callum) (callum at lindenlab.com <mailto:callum at lindenlab.com> ) wrote:

This is what I propose for moving forward with the "Remove QuickTime from the viewer" work:

(TLDR;  Replace QuickTime plugin with one based on LibVLC and use it to play MPEG-4 and MP3 media URLS plus anything else we get for free. Additionally, turn on flags in Chromium->CEF->CEF-bin->LLCEFLib->media_plugin_cef builds that enable embedded media support.)
*	Remove QuickTime entirely from the viewer.
*	Replace it with a new plugin:
*
	*	Version for Windows (32 bit) using LibVLC
	*	Version for OS X (32 bit) using LibVLC
	*	Ask for help from open source developer community to create a version for Linux using LibVLC
*	Update mime_types.xml (etc) to point old QuickTime handled media at new version (plus any others we think should not go to the default, CEF plugin)
*	Ask for help from the open source developer community to flip Linux GStreamer output since we flipped the prim media texture coordinates
*
	*	I hope this is possible - reason it was done is that both CEF and LibVLC need to be flipped so it seems foolish to flip everything twice.
*	Inhibit the "This file needs to be downloaded" message in CEF for media types we are unable to handle - replace with Alert?
Then as a separate task maybe since it's more of a feature vs. a replace QuickTime issue:
*	Assuming legal gives us the go ahead to turn on the CEF embedded media support, go ahead and update the Windows/OS X 32 bit CEF media plugins accordingly.
Then, once this is finished and we resume the 64 bit conversion work:
*	Create 64 bit versions of the LibVLC plugin for Windows and OS X
*	Create 64 bit versions of the media-enabled CEF plugin for Windows and OS X

​Unless ​
​anyone has any significant objections, I'll go ahead and clean up the existing LibVLC plugin, get it working on OS X and make a version of the CEF plugin with embedded media.

I have no ability to do anything for the Linux side of things so would appreciate help from someone with a contributor agreement.

Cheers!​

Sounds good to me.

I wonder if doing vlc on darwin32 is worthwhile though. Quicktime for Mac is deprecated, but doesn’t exhibit the security holes Windows does. Once 64-bit is building, Quicktime has got to go as there is no 64-bit support anyway. Guess it depends on how soon darwin64 could be out the door.

--
Cinder Roxley
Sent with Airmail