[opensource-dev] 64 bit viewers build instructions

Nat Goodspeed nat at lindenlab.com
Wed Nov 23 10:11:02 PST 2016

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 12:24 PM, Nicky Perian <nickyperian at gmail.com>
wrote:

This is on a Release. The solution defaulted to Debug and I failed to
> notice.
> So, that raises the question; Why when autobuild source_environment is set
> to Release did it not follow through to the soultion?

There is a program called VSTool in indra/tools/vstool that has been used
to postprocess the .sln file generated by autobuild configure (running
CMake). We recently stopped running that implicitly, for a couple reasons:

   1. VSTool began failing intermittently on our build machines, impacting
   the reliability of our build farm. But VSTool's only function is to set
   defaults for the IDE -- which is completely irrelevant to an unattended
   build! So for an official build-farm build, the only effect of running
   VSTool was the negative one of introducing intermittent failures. It can
   take an hour to rerun a full official build-farm build.
   2. VSTool was being run in a weird way, with '&&' being passed by
   autobuild.xml as a command argument.
      - That relied on autobuild invoking commands through the shell.
      autobuild-1.1 has recently started invoking commands directly
      *without* using the shell, which in general is more robust and
      secure. But that meant that '&&' and 'VSTool.exe' and its args were being
      passed to devenv as additional arguments. Of course devenv was completely
      nonplussed.
      - autobuild.xml is not a scripting language. It has no way to invoke
      VSTool conditionally. We couldn't run it only for interactive developer
      builds.

The *right* fix is for CMake to generate the .sln (etc.) files with the
appropriate defaults already set.

Until we get that, if your workflow involves autobuild configure followed
by a Visual Studio IDE session, please run autobuild configure in a shell
script that also runs VSTool with the arguments you've seen in previous
versions of autobuild.xml.

> Error 7 error LNK1181: cannot open input file
> '..\llimagej2coj\Release\llimagej2coj.lib' C:\Users\Bill\P64\viewer64\bui
> ld-vc120-32\newview\LINK secondlife-bin
> Error 4 error C2039: 'page_zoom_factor' : is not a member of
> 'LLCEFLib::LLCEFLibSettings' C:\Users\Bill\P64\viewer64\ind
> ra\media_plugins\cef\media_plugin_cef.cpp 504 1 media_plugin_cef
> Error 1 error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'opj_stdint.h': No such
> file or directory C:\Users\Bill\P64\viewer64\bui
> ld-vc120-32\packages\include\openjpeg\openjpeg.h 94 1 llimagej2coj

I jumped right in trying to build a 64-bit Windows viewer. Your mail
prompted me to circle back and clean up the 32-bit Windows build of
lindenlab/viewer64. I see these errors and am working on them. (I think
I've already worked around the LLCEFLibSettings one.)

Please stay tuned!