[opensource-dev] HTTP asset fetching will soon be mandatory

Oz Linden (Scott Lawrence) oz at lindenlab.com
Mon Oct 15 12:27:12 PDT 2018

**

*For several years now, we have had the ability to fetch textures
directly via HTTP. This has several advantages. It reduces load on the
simulator, which no longer needs to act as an intermediary, and allows
textures to be fetched reliably and efficiently using a CDN; this mean
that data is more likely to come from a nearby machine, giving better
performance for our residents. Last year, we added the ability to fetch
several other types of in-world assets the same way, and have had very
good results with the change. Although the Linden Lab official Second
Life viewer no longer uses the old non-HTTP method of fetching assets,
the simulator code has still been present, allowing other viewers to
continue using the old method of fetching assets by way of the simulator.*

*

In the interests of continuing to improve performance and user
experience, we will be removing the old non-HTTP fetching methods from
our simulators in early 2019. This means that any viewers that are still
fetching the affected asset types via UDP will no longer work correctly
after that time.

The affected asset types are:

  *

    AT_LANDMARK

  *

    AT_CLOTHING

  *

    AT_BODYPART

  *

    AT_GESTURE

  *

    AT_ANIMATION

  *

    AT_SOUND

The planned date of the changeover is January 6, 2019. Please make sure
any viewers you are working on have updated their asset fetching methods
by then. If you have any questions about this process, please contact Oz.

*

--
OZ LINDEN | Senior Director, Second Life Engineering
email or hangouts: oz at lindenlab.com <mailto:oz at lindenlab.com> | Real