[opensource-dev] ViewerAsset cap

Cinder Roxley cinder at alchemyviewer.org
Sun Aug 11 08:30:46 PDT 2019

Greetings on a pleasant Sunday morning!

I am updating Radegast and LibreMetaverse to support HTTP asset fetching
via ViewerAsset capability. (https://github.com/cinderblocks/libremetaverse)

I have scoured the wiki for API doc on ViewerAsset, and one does not exist
publicly. I have gotten most of it to work, but I need to know what exactly
is and is NOT supported. It appears textures, mesh, sound, animations,
landmarks, do indeed work, and this seems to cover the bulk of what was
obsoleted and removed.

However, the viewer code would suggest any asset type should be
downloadable, but when I attempt to use the scheme GET http://<cap_url>/?<asset
type>_id=<asset id> notecard, lsltext, and other asset types return
“Invalid Syntax”.

So my question is, what asset types are supported? Is migration to HTTP
ongoing? eg. Will notecards and scripts be moved to the capability away
from UDP? If so, I will simply handle the error code and fallback. If
there’s no plan to move them, I won’t bother with that and leave fetching
on UDP for unsupported types.