[opensource-dev] viewer-release vs The Penguins

Nicky D. sl.nicky.ml at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 4 13:28:53 PST 2020

it has been a while since LL released their last Linux capable viewer. To
get things started
again I brought 6.3.6 up to Linux support:
https://bitbucket.org/NickyD/viewer-linux
https://bitbucket.org/NickyD/viewer-flatpak   (for the flatpak build
scripts)

As I know the chances to see a penguin fly are bigger than get a release
from
LL, I also created a flatpak that users can install and run (instructions
below).
I'm still pondering to make an AppImage from it, but that's something for
another day.

Differences in the Linux version:
- Uses SDL2 rather than SDL (so the "OS" version can be used).
- Uses GTK3 instead of GTK2, again to not have to compile the old GTK
version.
- OpenAL instead of FMODEX, there's no way to download FMODEX anymore. Once
FMOD Studio gets into the viewer I add it to the Linux release.
- No KDU. I obviously don't have access to LLs version of KDU and won't use
the one I have for Firestorm.
- GStreamer 1.0 instead of VLC. GStreamer being part of the OS it gets
updated by the OS (Flatpak in this case) rather than shipping some ancient
VLC version.
- dullahan/CEF is added. So it got the usual web browser as Windows/OSX got.
- It's obviously unsupported.

The flatpak is hosted by The Phoenix Firestorm Project Inc. (
https://www.firestormviewer.org/about/) but could easily hosted by any
webserver or say AWS/S3.

Installation:
flatpak is needed and must be installed via the distros usual ways (
https://flatpak.org/setup/)
Then the viewer can be installed either system or user specific:

Add Flatpak repo

   - Systemwide:
   - flatpak remote-add viewer-builds
      https://flatpak.firestormviewer.org/viewer.flatpakrepo
      - User install
   - flatpak remote-add --user viewer-builds
      https://flatpak.firestormviewer.org/viewer.flatpakrepo

Install viewer (it will give the option which branch, stable has the
advantage that it can be updated as new released get added):

   - Systemwide:
   - flatpak install viewer-builds viewer-release
      - User install
   - flatpak install --user viewer-builds viewer-release

Run the viewer

   - flatpak run org.lindenlab.viewer-release

Cheers,
   Nicky