[opensource-dev] viewer-release vs The Penguins

Nicky D. sl.nicky.ml at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 6 03:05:17 PST 2020

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 11:45 AM Henri Beauchamp <sldev at free.fr> wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Feb 2020 22:28:53 +0100, Nicky D. wrote:
>
> > it has been a while since LL released their last Linux capable viewer. To
> > get things started
> > again I brought 6.3.6 up to Linux support:
> > https://bitbucket.org/NickyD/viewer-linux
> > https://bitbucket.org/NickyD/viewer-flatpak   (for the flatpak build
> > scripts)
> >
> > As I know the chances to see a penguin fly are bigger than get a release
> > from LL, I also created a flatpak that users can install and run
> > (instructions below).
>
> I fail to see the advantage of a flatpak, when the current distribution
> method (i.e. bundling libraries that are likely to lack on the user's
> system, or that have been patched) do work nicely... Flatpaks are huge
> and bloated with stuff that the viewer won't really need (but are just
> non-essential dependencies to some libraries it uses).
>
> The main reason why this happened is LL not wanting to have their own
Linux viewer depend on many 3Ps but rather use as much standalone
that you can find on a Linux system. That led to either snap, flatpak or
AppImage.

Of course then due to time constraints they never picked it up. But that's
the reason behind the current format. It is based on what I did for LL.

> > - Uses GTK3 instead of GTK2, again to not have to compile the old GTK
> > version.
>
> I solved the GTK dependency a looong while ago... By removing it
> entirely !

I know. I already looked at it for Firestorm. But LL won't let you
contribute this
as we know due to their CA standards.
I'd really like to get rid of the GTK dependency. Even if only for
Firestorm.

As long as we're speaking about a viewer LL might want to integrate
(debatable
if it ever happens), taking contributions of others is out of the question.
Taking
contribution from others without CA is completely unthinkable.

> > - It's obviously unsupported.
>
> I provided and kept up to date the sources for a Linux-compatible Dullahan
> since November 2015 on my site... That could count as "support", I think...
> :-D

Hehe I meant the viewer is unsupported. Everyone but LL has dullahan for
Linux since ages. Then again LL has no Linux viewer since ages either.

> Another thing you might want to look at is getting rid of the deprecated,
> unsupported and utterly buggy dbus-glib dependency. I solved this a long
> time ago by coding DBus support based on glib-gio (see llappviewerlinux.cpp
> in my viewer sources): it's very clean and small code, that also does
> properly work (dbus-glib got a timeout bug, unless you use a very old
> version that no distro would provide any more nowadays, anyway).

I'm going to look at that. Thank you for the input. Again though likely
going to
look at it for Firestorm.