[opensource-dev] Viewer changes for Premium changes

Oz Linden (Scott Lawrence) oz at lindenlab.com
Tue Feb 25 07:48:03 PST 2020

**

*As we mentioned at the last Third Party Viewer meeting, the upcoming
changes to Premium levels will require some viewer updates to maintain
full compatibility.*

*

Why are there changes?

The viewer currently has some messages and costs hard coded that will
need to be sensitive to the account type of the user. Rather than just
telling the viewer the users’ account level (which we will also do) and
then putting code into the viewer to adjust based on that type, we have
built a more general solution. A new key ('benefits') in the LLSD map
returned by login identifies a map whose keys are "benefit tags" and
whose values are what that benefit level is for the logged-in user.

For example, one of the benefit tags is "texture_upload_cost"; its value
is the number of L$ required for this user to upload a texture. The
viewer displays that cost in the upload dialog so that dialog must be
modified to use the value returned in the tag rather than the L$10 that
is currently hard coded.

Where are the changes?

The changes are in the 'DRTVWR-481
<https://bitbucket.org/lindenlab/viewer/branch/DRTVWR-481>' branch in
the viewer git repository. A viewer built from that branch will be
available as a Release Candidate soon.

When can we release these changes?

We strongly encourage you to integrate these changes as soon as
possible. You are free to begin incorporating the changes and releasing
them any time (but please watch for updates to them).

The login servers should already be returning the benefits information
(the values are the same as those currently in the viewer; they'll
change when we make the new Premium Plus level available and introduce
other changes to Premium).

The simulator support for benefits is still being finalized and
deployed; they are just beginning to use the benefits information from
login in the same way this new viewer branch does. In practice, both
should arrive at the same numbers since the current benefits information
from login matches the old hard coded values. If your testing shows any
discrepancies, please report them via Jira as quickly as possible.

What will happen with unmodified viewers when the Premium changes go
into effect?

Most Second Life usage should be fine without the updates, but there may
be subtle problems. For example, an unmodified viewer may have the wrong
cost for some action; if the viewer expects the cost to be lower than
the simulator does, the simulator will reject the request.

*
--
OZ LINDEN | VP Second Life Engineering
email: oz at lindenlab.com <mailto:oz at lindenlab.com> | Scott Lawrence