[opensource-dev] Viewer changes for Premium changes

Oz Linden (Scott Lawrence) oz at lindenlab.com
Thu Feb 27 11:39:10 PST 2020

On 2020-02-27 12:37 , Henri Beauchamp wrote:
> 2.- Had you*simply*  (this is really trivial, since this is how the
>      viewers and login server already work !) respected the normal
>      protocol, not sending any "account_level_benefits" related info
>      to the viewers not requesting that option on login, there would
>      not have been*any*  problem !
>
>      NOTE THAT IT IS NOT TOO LATE: you could*still*  modify the login
>      server code to comply with the list of the requested options and
>      stop sending the "account_level_benefits" stuff when not requested.
>      This would*instantly*  restore the compatibility with the old
>      viewers, and all you would have to change in the new viewer code
>      is to add:
> 	requested_options.append("account_level_benefits");
>      in LLLoginInstance::constructAuthParams()

That protocol works (and from time to time we employ it) when the change
is one that can be compatible, but that's not the case here. The account
levels are not an optional thing, and there never was any way we could
maintain backward compatibility on the server for viewers that don't get it.

The fact that some incomplete XMLRPC implementations not based on ours
failed when they shouldn't have isn't something we could have
anticipated or done anything about.

--
OZ LINDEN | VP Second Life Engineering
email: oz at lindenlab.com <mailto:oz at lindenlab.com> | Scott Lawrence