[opensource-dev] macOS Catalina notarization

Tonya Souther tonya.souther at gmail.com
Sat Feb 29 08:33:52 PST 2020

Apple has tightened up their criteria for notarizing apps. For those of you
not familiar with the issue, the current version of macOS, 10.15 Catalina,
makes the user jump through some scary hoops to run an application they've
downloaded unless it's been notarized - signed with an Apple Developer ID
key and then checked by Apple.

When Catalina first came out, Apple relaxed several requirements for
notarization Their announcement is at
https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=09032019a . Those changes have now
been reversed, and all of the requirements they list have been met.

I've spent the morning making viewer-manifest.py sign everything that's
needed signing (apparently codesign --deep --force doesn't do that job any
more). Unfortunately, there's still one major problem: there are 309
libraries that were built with an SDK older than 10.9. As Apple's notice
says, that will cause notarization to be rejected.

305 of those libraries are in llplugin, and five are in the SLvoice for
OpenSim. I don't expect that LL has anything to do with the latter, but the
former is the much bigger problem. Is the llplugin directory still needed?
If so, is there a good way to rebuild the lot?