[sldev] Complete viewer compilation benchmarks

Dale Glass dale at daleglass.net
Sun Apr 1 07:54:37 PDT 2007

В сообщении от 1 апреля 2007 06:28 James Cook написал(a):
> This is a great analysis.  Thanks for sharing.
>
> My own internal tests with building Second Life on Windows, Mac and
> Linux show that build time is almost completely CPU bound.  The
> best way to get faster builds is to find more workstations for
> Incredibuild, distcc, or your distributed build system of choice.
> :-)
Definitely. But not all of us can afford such things :-)

An unexpected result was finding that Gentoo compiles 15% faster
(although versions weren't identical), but runs scons two times
slower.

Perhaps somebody here with Python knowledge could take a look at scons
and optimize it a bit? I still have all the required data here, and
will volunteer to run tests for anybody who has any ideas of what
makes the difference between Gentoo and Ubuntu happen.

> Where a RAM disk or faster hard drive might matter is for linking.
> Link times are primarily I/O bound.  A 10K RPM disk will speed
> linking by 30% or more.  See below.
Interestingly, my tests disagree with that. With enough RAM present, a
full compile time is improved only by 1.5% if you have a perfect disk
(RAM disk)

Link time improves by 46%, but only if there's no data cached. If it
is, the difference isn't measurable. So long you have enough RAM to
keep the data cached, a faster disk isn't needed.