[sldev] Second Life competition (was: a rant)

Laurent Laborde kerdezixe at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 04:07:29 PDT 2007

On 4/8/07, John Hurliman <jhurliman at wsu.edu> wrote:
> I'm not familiar with There or ActiveWorlds,
> so I'll pass the suggestions on to the next person now.

ActiveWorld have a "per server" object list (there is no inventory in
ActiveWorld)
When you TP from a region to another, you change your avatar (unless,
if you're lucky both region have the same avatar list).
There is tons of lack of feature in AW (it's very old and outdated)
and the lack of inventory definitively put it "out".

There.com have a heavily moderated content, can't build in world.
you have to create your object with a 3rd party software,
pay (in US$) the company running there.com to upload it,
they review it (can take many days)
if it's refused they refund part of the upload fee and keep a few US$
for the review cost.
if it's accepted you have to pay PER COPY of your object.
and, it's forbidden to resell the credit earned with the sale of your object.

Both are far from SL :)

--
kerunix Flan