[sldev] Aggregation (was: Armchair lawyers)

Dzonatas dzonatas at dzonux.net
Mon Apr 9 09:54:14 PDT 2007

Phoenix wrote:
> Once you enter the realm of distributing license incompatible software
> which shares process and address space, then it can be interpreted as
> a derivative work. I am not going to attempt to define that boundary
> for LL, and even the FSF passes the generalized form onto the legal
> system.
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation
>
> I think it is likely that LL will be amenable to working with third
> parties on closed plug-ins which require shared process space.
> However, that will primarily be a business decision after the plug-in
> framework exists.
I know this will be much simpler if we provide path for code aggregation.

Client Script & Persistent Data Object:
https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-98

Here, I'm suggesting a way for the client to use arbitrary code that is
hosted on the server. Having to create a plug-in directly within the
client for every little possibility and than get that worked through the
open source details may be pain for any number of individuals. Instead,
we provide the path to create the base subsystem in the client which
only has to work with the open source details. Then, it can access the
plug-ins from the server.

The CSPDO could work like how a close-sourced server side script works
now given permissions and all. It would be only the subsystem that has
to be worked into the open source plan.

Enjoy =)