[sldev] Can I include source licensed under the 3-clause BSD?

Adam Frisby adam at gwala.net
Wed Aug 1 17:47:57 PDT 2007

Hi Rob,

This is a copy of the 3-clause BSD license we use for the
openmetaverse.org projects. 3-clause means the standard BSD license,
less the "advertising" clause, it's fairly common (probably the second
most common open source license apart from the GPL).

When you see "BSD-licensed" 9/10 times it's reffering to the 3-clause
version.

> /*
> * Copyright (c) Contributors, http://www.openmetaverse.org/
> * See CONTRIBUTORS.TXT for a full list of copyright holders.
> *
> * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
> * modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
> *     * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
> *       notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
> *     * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
> *       notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
> *       documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
> *     * Neither the name of the OpenSim Project nor the
> *       names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products
> *       derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
> *
> * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE DEVELOPERS ``AS IS AND ANY
> * EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
> * WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
> * DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY
> * DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
> * (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
> * LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
> * ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
> * (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
> * SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
> *
> */

Regards,

Adam