[sldev] Uh... what was with the sudden voice release?

Matthew Dowd matthew.dowd at hotmail.co.uk
Fri Aug 3 02:29:05 PDT 2007

It seems rather rushed - apart from the chatterbox issues, there are also firewall issues (the FAQ is wrong - it implies that if you are firewall router you only need to enable 5060 and possible 5062. This is incorrect. It looks like the SLVoice.exe does the initial handshake over 5060/5062 but then establishes the voip connections themselves over UDP ports which afaict are picked at random within the 12000-16000 range. If you firewall does not have this range open by default for outgoing messages, not only does VOIP not work but you get spammed with "Connecting to inworld voice..." every few minutes in the chat history log).

Anyway, looks like this weekend, I'll be looking at the new chatterbox source code...

Matthew